This bread is from my childhood. We used to go hiking to Belgrad Forest (in Istanbul, TR) as a family; on the way back home, we used to get it from a bakery. And start eating the hot bread on the way in the car :) .
1 + 1/4 cups Org.Whole Wheat Flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
1 + 1/4 cups Org. White Flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 tbs Himalayan Salt
1 tbs yeast (can be 1/2 tbs w/more rising time)
2 tbs org. butter (can be olive oil)
1/2 cup warm org.milk
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 tsp honey
- Mix all dry ingredients except yeast.
- Make a little well and pour milk, water, honey and yeast in the well. Stir the wet ingredient and wait few minutes for the yeast to bubble.
- Mix it all and knead for about 3 minutes. Add more water or flour if needed.
- Put the dough in a bowl, cover with damp cloth and put in a warm oven. This way instead of waiting up to 2 hrs, it only takes about 40 minutes for the dough to rise.
- Take the dough out, cut in 8 and form 8 dough balls.
- Grease your round (11″) baking dish with butter or coconut oil.
- Put one dough ball in the middle and the rest around it, leaving enough space to rise.
- Put back in warm oven. After it rises again, bring out. Set your oven to 400F.
- Meanwhile, brush your bread with egg yolk and a little water mixture.
- Sprinkle caraway and sesame seeds on top.
- Put your bread in preheated oven. Bake about 20-40 minutes.
P.s: Rising and baking times may vary.